Thursday, February 11, 2010

Visual Mind meets Blogging!


Hello to all!

I will have to be honest and say that this is my first time to blog and even begin to understand blogging. So in many words, thank you for being patient as I try to loosen up and understand the blogging concept!

Just to give you a little spritz into my head and thinking, I am a true visual! Landmarks are my memory not so much street names unless I am impressed with the font, color is my everything, and creating is a passionate craving on mine. Creating artwork stems from fourth grade with private art lessons at the Columbus Museum from Jill Chancey-Philips, a local and well-known southeastern artist. I still remember the excitement and ease of her first lesson. She had us draw thumbnail sketches of a group of images to loosen our hands. The Light/Shadow demonstration of solid geometric shapes came directly after. Fourth grade is where it began and truly has not stopped!!!

I would consider myself a classically trained artist and proud to say. My learning and understanding of art continued through high school under a wonderful teacher, Robert Dozier. I then furthered my education from the University of Georgia by graduating Cum Laude with a BFA in Drawing and Painting. I truly believe one must know basic drawing techniques. It all begins with basic drawing skills! And I am so very thankful for those many many lessons of studying light and shadow on cubes and even the six months of figure drawing and painting in college. I can't even tell you how many times I have drawn a boob and a butt! Either way I am very thankful for learning the classic techniques of drawing and painting. These techniques are my core to having a sharp eye and confident brushstrokes. Here is an example of how I used my classical training techniques to create this pastel portrait of my heart and soul, Edith Jane. This is my chance speak without any words.

No comments:

Post a Comment